Amber is a mineral of organic origin. This means that it was once the resin of huge coniferous trees, and this is what gives it such amazing properties as the warmth felt at every touch, the glow, and the amazing variety of colors. Therefore, amber crystals are very soft - they can be easily processed, but they also wear off quickly. It is known that an amber necklace can change shape and decrease in diameter due to friction against the fabric of clothing. Due to these features, the amorphous structure of the solar gem requires special care, careful and careful.
Any jewelry needs regular cleaning, especially the most favorite ones, the ones you wear often and with pleasure. But even lying in a box, stones, and metal can fade, become covered with patina, and lose their original shine. In this article, we will tell you how to care for amber jewelry from ukrburshtyn.com, so that the amber does not tarnish and your jewelry pleases you even longer.
How to clean silver jewelry with stones at home
If you leave amber jewelry in a box for a long time, you can notice that it becomes duller, and loses the unique play of shades that distinguishes amber from other precious stones. But this is not scary - knowing how to clean amber if it is cloudy, you will easily put the accessory in order.
- If the stone has not changed very much, ordinary cleaning will do. To begin with, you should wash the product with soap. This will help remove dust particles that have collected in the recesses and curls of the frame. Then it is necessary to place the precious stone in a container with water, having previously thrown a few pieces of ice there. This will refresh the color, make it brighter. It can be left in such a "bath" for several hours or even overnight. After removing the jewelry, wipe the surface of the amber with a paper, felt or felt napkin. This will smooth out small roughness on its surface.
- In that case, if the surface of the stone has become completely dull, you will have to make more efforts and engage in polishing. Of course, this method is more effective, but it is more suitable for brooches, bracelets, rings and earrings with amber inserts. If you start polishing a long necklace, be prepared for the process to take several days.
It is easy to polish the stone - apply a clean velvet or flannel cloth to its surface and use it in circular motions until the mineral plays with all the colors. Yes, this is a slow process, but it allows you to clean products of any size and configuration. After polishing, rub the stone with olive oil, being careful not to leave drops of oil in the depressions and grooves. Stuck in hard-to-reach places, they attract dust and dirt.
If the amber is cut in the form of a cabochon (a crystal with a rounded or flat surface), it can be cleaned with GOI paste, tooth powder or paste. But be careful! If there are even the slightest scratches on the stone, the paste can penetrate them and turn the crystal green!
How to care for amber - basic rules and recommendations
There are several rules for caring for Amber at home. Their observance guarantees an attractive appearance and preservation of the stone. Here are the most important tips:
- wipe amber jewelry only with the softest cloths, pressing very carefully. To clean hard-to-reach places, use brushes with natural bristles or cotton buds; hard brushes, abrasives and cleaning powders are incompatible with amber;
- if you wipe the gem with alcohol, solvents or other chemicals - it may become cloudy, covered with a whitish coating or cracks;
- only specialized jewelry cleaners are suitable for cleaning amber;
- store amber products so that they do not come into contact with other jewelry, preferably in separate boxes with soft bedding;
- when applying perfume or cosmetics, make sure that their drops do not fall on the amber. It can change color from this.
Following these recommendations, you will turn your gem into a real sun shard, sparkling on the skin! By the way, if scratches have already appeared on the gem, only a specialist can make it smooth with the help of special equipment. It is easier to warn than to correct a defect; to avoid scratching your favorite jewelry, just don't drop it and don't wear it with accessories that have sharp edges. And then you can enjoy the beauty of a natural solar gem for a very long time!